Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Why is this acceptable???

This has been on my mind for a few days now. Why is it perfectly acceptable that in Oprahs graduation speech to Howard University she said "I used to work for the white man and the white men have to work for me." How is this ok? Why are we hearing nothing of this. What if I gave a speech and said the exact opposite? How much trouble would I be in. Would I be smattered all over the media like Imus was? Was what he said worse than what Oprah said? In my eyes, she said the same type of thing that he did. I am just getting so tired of our society and the need to walk on eggshells around every race but our own. Why is ok that we get put down constantly because we are white. I was raised in a very good household that taught me we are all the same. . .but comments like this makes you realize that not all of were raised the same and that racism is still very much alive and it is now turning more and more against those of us that are white. And what do we have to do. . .take it or risk being excuted in the eyes of the media and the world. Sucks huh?

2 comments:

Cricket said...

So I'm looking all over the internet for that remark, so we can start the "I hate Oprah Campaign" and I can't find it. The only thing I found was that her grandmother, a maid, once told her, ” ‘I hope you grow up and find some good white folks to work for.' " and Oprah went on to say "I regret that she didn’t live past 1963 and see that I did grow up and get some really good white folks working for me”

I find that pretty benign... and most certainly true, LOL!

The statement seems to be more about her sadness over her grandmother not getting to see the advancements that have been made in the world, esp for the blacks who had come here under such crappy conditions.

Sorry for ruining the campaign...

Karen said...

Here you go my love! My dad sent me this link and he now thinks you are a liberal. . . :P

http://www.tmz.com/2006/09/25/oprah-lords-over-white-folk-talks-poop-on-xm/

Paragraph under the pic, last sentence!